[TowerTalk] How much concrete to set a pole?

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Tue Nov 8 07:39:48 EST 2005

You have a 40' tower and can get at least 22' from the base for your poles.
Then you are going to have to dig a hole.  Then you are also going to back
guy the poles 3-4' from the tower from the tower you are out to 25-26'....
so just how far from the tower can you possibly put in an earth anchor?  I
would prefer guying to screw anchors 22' from the base of a 40' tower over
trying to kludge together some kind of elevated anchor.  Heck a 40' tower
only needs one anchor 32' out from the base to meet rohn specs so you are
almost there anyway.  I would guy it at the 30' level and if I could get the
anchors out 25' that would be more than enough.  To properly design back
guyed elevated anchors for a 40' tower you are going to have to pay some
engineer way more than the whole tower cost, and the materials and labor are
probably much more than that!

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net