[TowerTalk] Fw: CATS RD1800

Chuck Tifft ctifft at bis.midco.net
Tue Nov 8 08:30:58 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Chuck Tifft
To: TowerTalk at contesting.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:05 AM
Subject: CATS RD1800

I just received a new RD1800-Y. Yaesu version. I wonder if anyone has had trouble with these units not tracking correctly with the Yaesu Controller. The RD1800 has a 1K pot and the Yaesu is designed for a 500 ohm. I had to experiment with a parallel resistor on pins 1and 3 of the controller to get the tracking acceptable. Now for the big problem, I have a Tristao CZ-471 tower, it has a 12.5 inch top section same as a US Tower TX series. I have yet to find a way to get the RD1800 into the top section. Looks like it will be OK once I get it inside. (If I can). I don't really want to bend or certainly not cut any braces. I would probably be willing to bend a brace or 2 if I really thought that would do it, but I don't think so. I tried coming up through the bottom of the section, but the extra braces there seem to rule that out as well. I even thought about taking the case off of it. The older 1800's appear to have had a 2 piece case which may have allowed weaving it around the braces with one half of the case removed, but the new series has a one piece case. Has anybody out there put one of these in a similar tower?
Tnx
Chuck
W6RD