[TowerTalk] Welcome to the "TowerTalk" mailing list

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 9 10:43:35 EST 2005

At 06:33 AM 11/9/2005, Graeme & Donna Holman wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I am part of a committee in Bunbury, Western Australia and we are installing
>a CF-928 SkilFast Mast.
>
>It is modular and can be built to various lengths. We will be erecting
>40metres(120feet) for AM 1017khz.
>
>We have engineers drawings of the mast and some other engineering info
>however we don't know what guy wire tension is required. Can anyone assist?

The usual recommendation would be to tension the guy wires to 10% of their
rated load capacity.  But that assumes that they've specified the right
size cables AND that the cables you're using are actually those (for
instance, if the drawing called out 1mm diameter and you install 1 cm
diameter, you probably don't want to tension to 10% of the capacity of the
1cm cables!)

The guy wire tension should be in the drawings somewhere, or at least in
the load calculations.  Look in the part of the calculations where they
figure out wind loads.

>          Kind Regards, Graeme Holman

Jim, W6RMK