[TowerTalk] A near imminent TX-455 failure

D. Scott MacKenzie kb0fhp at comcast.net
Sun Nov 13 20:44:49 EST 2005

>From the photographs, it appears that failure originated from the edge of
the weld beads. Usually this indicates lack of fusion on the weldments.
Failure should occur in the base metal.  It also appears that the tower is
either painted or galvanized (I can't tell because I can't see well enough
at the fracture.  Since the welds appear to have failed at the weld bead,
grinding the weld bead off, then rewelding would be appropriate.  I would
also suggest some sort of backing plate to reduce the loads on the weld may
be utilized to reduce the stresses on the weldment.  The hard part will be
getting the  joints lined up for welding.

In my former life doing failure analysis on structures and components,
unfortunately, this is a common mode of failure, most often associated with
inadequate penetration of the weld.

IMHO

Scott aka KBOFHP