[TowerTalk] A near imminent TX-455 failure (Bob Shauger)

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Mon Nov 14 15:40:53 EST 2005

> I guess I have a different take - looking at the pictures and having
> reviewed these sorts of failures for years in the aerospace industry.

You 're dealing with different materials and much lower grades though.

> The legs (not the welds) have broken at the point where the side plates

I'd really need to have the piece in hand to inspect, but to me (and I've
seen this in towers and tube welds before) that is the end of the leg, not a
break.  The weld was stuck to the bottom piece, but only formed a barrier
around the leg.

It appears to me that basically those legs were never welded to the base
with much more than a tack, if that.

This is an easy weld to make, but a novice will usually be afraid to apply
enough heat to the thin tube.  They get a tad gunshy after bloing holes
through thin stuff and this is old enough it may have been stick welded.

Today's MIG and TIG welders make welding thin stuff a breeze, but it still
takes skill to weld thin tube to 1/4" stock at those hinges. I regularly
weld 16 ga sheet steel as well as relatively thin wall tuve with a MIG.
With a TIG it's fairly easy to even weld thin Aluminum

> are welded to the legs.  Also, the failures show no sign of ductile
> deformation - note how sharp the cracks are.  Also, the failures have
> occurred at the point of maximum applied tensile stress to the leg
> members.
>
> This looks like a classic hydrogen embrittlement failure of the legs.
>
> http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Forms/embrittlement.htm

It still looks like a poor weld job to me.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com