[TowerTalk] Raised radial question

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Nov 15 02:42:09 EST 2005

> ground (then horizontal), have I gained anything?  Will a
few (3 or 4)
> elevated radials like mentioned be better than many ground
radials?

1.) If you only have a few radials, they generally work much
better elevated than laying on the ground.

2.) A large radial system (like 50 or so radials) is nearly
100% efficient, It is impossible to beat 100%.

3.) When you use elevated radials, any path to earth (like
the tower base being in the mud) will reduce efficiency.

4.) With only four elevated radials a few feet above earth
on low bands, the system will be a few dB to several dB
weaker than 50 or so radials laying on the ground.

5.) There is no free lunch.

73 Tom