[TowerTalk] Raised radial question

larryj@teleport.com larryj at teleport.com
Tue Nov 15 21:45:13 EST 2005

Re: Item # 3:

I have been using Butternut HF6V vertical antennas for many years. They
have gotten me 5BDXCC, about 260+ countries on 40-Meters and nearly 200 on
80 Meters. I've always had the antennas up on a roof, no more than about
15-20 feet above the ground, with about a half-dozen radials for various
bands - usually one or two for 80M, one for 30M, and 3 or 4 for 40-Meters
and up (like the Butternut multiband STR kit). I have never gotten around
to installing a ground wire from the base of the antenna to a ground rod.

I wanted to try elevating this HF6V at my new home up on a tall tower, like
in the ARRL Antenna Compendium, vol. # 2, pp.46-49 article, by K4IQJ. I
notice that the author doesn't appear to have the common point for the set
of radials isolated from ground - the base of the antenna, the ground side
of the coil which is across the coax feedline hot side to ground, and all
radials actually hook to the top of the 50 foot tower that the author is
using for a support.

Are you suggesting that if I try an elevated multiband vertical up on a 60
to 70 foot tower, as in this ARRL article, that the radials should be
connected to ONLY the ground side of the coax feedline, and not also to the
support tower/mast or a wire to a ground rod?

Thanks and 73,

Larry