[TowerTalk] towerconnections.com is gone - now what?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 18:06:01 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/22/2005 2:36:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  For the Big Grips at least, Graybar stocks them, and they're  really cheap
there. Texas Towers gets $6.00 for a 1/4" Big Grip. The last  batch I got
from Graybar was $17.50 for 10 including shipping. I got them  the next day
because they had to ship them from Hamden, CT. I work near  Worcester and
live in NH.

    I'm going to venture a guess that you bought the  wrong ones. Graybar
handles utility company-type supplies - not tower supplies.

    PreFormed Line Products makes different grips for  different kinds of
wire rope and they have different  product  lines for towers and for utilities.
There are up to 7 or 8 different  kinds of wire rope for a given size; i.e.
1/4". They are all different and they  all take a DIFFERENT grip due to number of
strands, lay, length, tension, etc.

    Power poles, etc. are subjected to totally  different forces and specs
than towers and the guy materials don't crossover.  Please don't use them until
you've confirmed that they're for EHS tower  applications.

    And real EHS Big-Grips ain't that cheap!

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Cell:: 206-890-4188