[TowerTalk] Radials, lightning ground, RF ground

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Wed Nov 23 12:48:34 EST 2005

K7PUC wrote:
It seems to me that it takes two to tango,  The radiation from the vertical
member radiates because of the changing current but the changing current in
that lead must be balanced by an equal (but opposite)  change in current in
the other lead i.e. ground.  If that is true then at all times half of the
transmitter power must be going into the ground (?????).

You started off correct, but jumped to an incorrect conclusion.  If the
resistance in the two parts of the antenna (vertical, and ground
portions) was the same, then your statement would be true.  If you make
the resistance in the ground portion of the antenna low, then there is
going to be less power dissipated in the ground (current is the same
remember). Think of P=(I^2)R.

Jerry, K4SAV