[TowerTalk] 160m Antenna Tuner Recommendation?

Mike Brown k9mi at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 25 07:30:21 EST 2005

Scott, I was QRO for about 2 months, but my antennas are just too low (40ft)
to keep me out of things. The tuner I used then was an Ameritron ATR 30. I
used it with a W9INN 40/80/160 to fit my small lot. I used it on 160 quite a
bit, and never had any arcing problems. The amp I had was an Amp Supply 500z
or zg. Too early in the morning to remember for sure, but anyway, it would
do 1300 watts on all bands into a dummy load. I now run about 500 watts as
it's more neighbor, and xyl friendly.

It's probably been 5 years or so, that they did a side by side test in QST
of QRO tuners. Sorry to say I no longer have that issue, but if someone else
on the reflector does, they could probably be more helpful. I made my choice
of the ATR 30 more then anything by the advertising. Right or wrong, I had
no problems with it.

73, Mike K9MI