[TowerTalk] best medium sized tribander...

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 26 18:57:57 EST 2005

Excellent points, Jim.  No doubt the SteppIR is a very desirable antenna.

For the life of me I cannot understand why there are so many SteppIR owners
that get downright defensive when someone says something contrary to their
belief that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Granted it is a
wonderful innovation in the amateur HF and VHF bands, but one must consider
that there ARE alternatives, and pretty darn good ones at that.  OK, so the
SteppIR is the ONLY one that can squeeze the last dB out of every frequency
tuned, but that comes at a pretty hefty price.  If one wants to operate on
three or less bands in one mode, the simple (cheap) tribander is indeed a
good alternative, and a dB or two won't make much difference in a typical
QSO.

One of the most ridiculous comparisons I heard recently was at a local field
day where there was a SteppIR vertical and a Force 12 C-3S.  The operator
could select either antenna.  He was on 20 and noted that the C-3S was about
6dB (1 S-unit) better than the SteppIR.  Well duh!

BTW, in March a group of us are planning to do a DXpedition to Malta (9H).
We will be taking a SteppIR vertical, Force 12 C-3S and Force 12 Sigma 80.
This setup should get us on 80 through 6 with minimum weight.

73 Keith NM5G