[TowerTalk] ALTERNATIVE TRIBANDER

RICHARD BOYD ke3q at msn.com
Mon Nov 28 09:02:58 EST 2005

I endorse this idea.  I have also found in A/B tests with yagis, that quads can be a lot quieter on receive, which can be very helpful at times!  One time I was single band 15 in the ARRL DX CW with 8/8 Telrex monobanders, with a nice Europe run Saturday morning.  The QRN started to build.  I couldn't copy the weak ones who continued to call.  I switched to a 4-element Skylane quad that I had and the noise went away and I could copy all the weak ones.  I continued to use the 8/8 on transmit and used the quad on receive.

I have saved quad parts and have planned to put up a quad stack (4/4 or 5/5), just for fun.  No one "around these parts," have a quad stack -- actually, hardly anyone has a quad any more!  NK3R (ex-N5OKR), one of the W3LPL multi-multi ops, had a nice 4-element but when he moved QTHs he didn't put it back up (yet) -- I asked if he was interested in selling it and he said he's gonna hold onto it with the thought of maybe putting it back up.  That's okay, I've got enough quad parts already.

The main challenges I've found with quads are building and maintaining them, since they're frustratingly three-dimensional and somewhat fragile compared to the basically two-dimensional and more robust Yagi, mechanically.  I don't plan on ever putting one up except on a self supporting tower or pole, so that I can raise them straight up and down with minimum hassle.  Otherwise, I question whether the mechanical hassle is worth it.  If you have access to a "sign truck" or small crane (assuming you're not putting it really high up, in which case you'll need a bigger crane) or don't mind hiring one, you could "pop" the quad on and off the top of the tower when you install or maintain it.  In that case, a guyed tower would be okay.

73 - Rich, KE3Q