[TowerTalk] Suggestions for limited space 80M and then 40-10M antennas for a small lot

J. Gordon Beattie, Jr. w2ttt at arrl.net
Wed Nov 30 22:51:54 EST 2005

Hi Folks!
I have an 80M V dipole/sloper going from a fiberglass sidearm on my house
tower at 40 ft to the back of my lot.  The ends go to two 15ft towers with
15ft masts on top along the back of the property line.  They are about 20 ft
apart and the wires go through insulators and then angle toward each other
as they head to the ground where end insulators hold the ends with the help
of some 5-50 parachute cord.
This works OK on 40, but is mediocre at best.  The other bands are also
poor.

I can make changes, add new antennas even build a rectangle as originally
planned by adding a support across the house roof to complete the rectangle.

I would even entertain verticals!
I am not really limited except with respect to the size of the lot.   I also
have a LARGE collection of aluminum to make dipoles and verticals.  A
tribander is probably not going to fit.  Some combination of wire and
aluminum to cover HF bands and directions would be fine.  Suggestions are
welcome!

As further background, I have included a description of the lot, buildings
and towers.

I have a 40x100 lot with a house that is 21 x 32 and 19ft from the street.
It has a driveway up one side leading to a garage that is in the back corner
of my lot.
There is also a sizeable deck behind the house.
The primary tower, a 45ft ROHN 25 with 23ft of masting is along side the
house in the driveway.   This tower has an 144/222/446 MHz omni on top and a
KLM 50-52 yagi on it.  I removed the other VHF antennas when I couldn't
control the bird population pooping on my cars and driveway.

I have placed a second tower, an Alumna T-140 with 20ft of masting in the
back yard 26ft behind the house along side the garage.  I'm planning to put
my 144 and 222 long-boom yagis on it.  Anything longer or taller would have
to be added while the tower and mast is tilted toward the house so I could
add it to the top of the mast from the almost flat roof.   To do that I
would need to extend my mast....I'm not sure that is a good idea given the
relatively high welded rotator shelf in the tower.

As noted above, there are two light duty towers and masts, each about 30ft
tall holding the wires of my V-Dipole/sloper up along the back of the lot.

Finally, in the middle of my roof is a 3.5 inch rotatable mast that extends
8ft above the roof.  The bearings and rotator are in the corner walls of my
shack.  I plan to put my 432, 903, 1296 and 2304 antennas on it.   The idea
is to have short coaxes and have most of the bird perches (and bird poop) on
my lawn.

73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964