[TowerTalk] Rain static, lightning and Polyphasers

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 1 15:15:32 EDT 2005

We have our share of lightning and 'canes here too (Houston area).  My tower
is only 150 and will soon be adding two more at 150 and 160.

I have found the most effective protection is a well-designed single point
ground system.  This includes a connection to the AC mains entrance ground.
I also use Polyphasers in the bulkhead (8 so far) but have had lightning
damage through them in the past without a proper single point ground.  I
also homebrewed a relay box for the shack that disconnects and grounds the
antennas and equipment AC connectors when the power is turned off.  The
ground for this box and all other shack equipment is a Harger copper bar
that connects to the bulkhead and single point ground in the yard.

73, Keith NM5G