[TowerTalk] 4SQ for 80M

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 1 18:52:31 EDT 2005

At 01:35 PM 9/1/2005, Vojtech Ritzko wrote:

>I am planning 4SQ for 80M. I have problem with space, due to property
>limitation.
>

>Does anybody compared:
>

>4SQ with ë/4 spacing, but only ë/8 long radials
>

>Versus
>

>4SQ with ë/8 spacing with ë/4 long radials
>

>TNX
>
>OM8AW

I'll give you a theoretical take.  Others will no doubt give you some
practical experience.

Closer spacing makes for higher interelement coupling, the feedpoint
impedances will probably be lower, so the IR losses (assuming everything
else is identical) will be higher. The resonance will be higher Q, and the
coupling changes faster with frequency, so it will be harder to get good
phasing. Some depends on: would you use lambda/8 phasing or lambda/4
phasing (or some variant with a bit more phase shift than the physical
distance (like W8JIs scheme), which increases the forward gain a bit).

Think of something like a W8JK beam (two parallel dipoles fed out of
phase).  As you move the two closer together, the directivity increases,
but so does the loss, so the overall gain doesn't increase all that much.

On the other hand, the length of the radials (assuming you're planning on
putting them on the ground) isn't really frequency dependent (the
propagation speed in the wire is much slower than in free space, so a
quarter wavelength long wire is a much larger fraction of a wavelength hwen
the wire is buried in, or on, the dirt).  Most of the current in the
antenna is close to the base, and it's the same for the radial
network.  Lots of wires close to the base is probably more important than
few wires farther out.

If I had the choice, I'd go for 1/4 wave spacing and short radials.  Easier
tuning and operation, mostly.