[TowerTalk] B&W folded dipoles

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sat Sep 3 17:37:16 EDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 01:57:41PM -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

> >A third variation is the Max Con or Max Com automatic tuner
> >(not sure which name spelling).
>
> MaxCom from Pompano Beach, FL.  I had one of those in the lab for testing
> back in the 80s. A nice white painted aluminum box about 3"x6"x1" filled
> with some sort of opaque encapsulant.  Quite lossy (heh!)... we couldn't
> get funding to xray or dissolve out the potting.

The Maxcom was reviewed (debunked?) in QST, November 1984.  The product
review is available in the members-only section of the ARRL web site.
There are X-ray photos as well as one of a unit with some of the
potting cut away.  The circuit board components weren't even connected
to anything (I don't recall if the article mentioned whether or not the
toroid was connected.) It apparently is just a bunch of resistors
across the input (the VSWR was < 1.4:1 across the HF bands with no
antenna attached!)

QST reviewed one of the B&W dipoles in March, 1981.

Bob, N7XY