[TowerTalk] Attaching ground to tower

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Sat Sep 3 19:47:35 EDT 2005

I have my 70' crank-up tower down for rotator and antenna repairs at the moment.

I've never bothered to ground the tower in the past, but I hope to have it functioning as a shunt-fed vertical when it goes back up.

The base is steel.  The tower is galvanized steel.  I'd like to use two, or more, of the nine bolts that secure the tower to the base as attachment points for my ground and radial system.

I've been told that only certain metals are suitable for such an attachment.  I think stainless steel was one.  Are there others?

Also, how does one get from the stainless attachment material to the (mostly) copper radials?

I have a length of one inch copper tubing that I'm planing on making into a loop around the tower and then soldering radials onto.

Help appreciated!

73, Barrie, W7ALW