[TowerTalk] B&W Folded Dipoles

ABowenN4OO abowen at nettally.com
Sun Sep 4 09:27:44 EDT 2005

The B&W antenna appears to be related to the T2FD (Tilted Folded Dipole)
antenna. The T2FD antenna was first described in QST for June, 1949. It was
also written about in CQ magazine sometime in the early 50s and in 73
magazine, May of 84.

My memory of the CQ article is hazy, but I think the original resistor was
300 ohms and the antenna was fed with 300 ohm line.

Apparently the Navy used this antenna for a time in the late 40s. Common
sense and better ideas must have prevailed after that because I find no
references in my old military manual nor in the Vertical Antenna Handbook
by the late Paul Lee, N6PL.

Apparently the antenna or variations, finds some favor with SWLs. I note
that one is in use (or at least installed) at the National Guard Armory in
Tallahassee.

Those who wish to read more could Google T2FD and read further.

I think there are more efficient ways to connect a dummy load.

INK N4OO