[TowerTalk] Corrosion proofing Elements/connections

John E.Cleeve g3jvc at jcleeve.idps.co.uk
Sat Sep 10 06:16:43 EDT 2005

Without doubt use clear "Waxoyl" manufactured in the UK by Hammerite,
availble in the USA from motor body factors, especially those dealing
with UK manufactured vehicles. I have used this material, the clear
version, since around 1979, when my tower and antennas first went up.
The application of Waxoyl is time consuming by brush, but well worth
the effort, for the same yagi is sitting at the top of my tower, since
1979. I also coated the entire galvanised tower, plus the yagi, not
forgetting to mask off the antenna insulators. Joints between
telescopic aluminium sections, opened after thirty years have been as
clean and shiny as the day they were assembled. Waxoyl is clean to
use, and easy to remove, just with a wipe, by a cloth dipped in white
spirit....just enter "Waxoyl" into your search engine, and I am sure
you will find a local source....one last point, because it is a self
healing waxy coating, surface moisture will not adhere, and this means
less chance of ice forming on the antenna etc, during the
winter.....good Luck, John. G3JVC.

On Sat Sep 10  2:28 , KT2Q <dxdx at optonline.net> sent:

>All,
>
>What's the best way to protect electrical connections from corrosion?
I have
>new antennas going up and would like keep the balun connections
corrosion
>free as long as possible.
>
>Since there are two different metals involved with the driven
element /
>balun connection (stailess nuts, bolts and aluminum elements) is
Penetrox