[TowerTalk] Anchor Bolt Grade Suitable for Tower Base?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 14 09:29:06 EDT 2005

At 09:18 PM 9/13/2005, Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK) wrote:
> > I am installing an LM-470 and prefer to use a base plate for the tilt
> > base that was designed for retrofit to an already existing concrete pad
> > and anchor bolts.  The base plate takes three 1-1/2" anchor bolts, which
> > will be 27-36" long.  I have purchased 10 feet of 1-1/2" threaded rod
> > that meets ASTM specification A307A,B or C.  Apparently, the stuff is
> > known as "common" threaded rod and is the lowest strength available.  Is
> > this rod suitable for this application?
> >
> > Tnx and 73,
> >
> > Joe
> > K2XX
>
>It seems to me that the strength of the concrete limits the safe load
>you can put on anchor bolts to a low enough value that ordinary steel
>is good enough for the bolts.

I was chatting with a structural guy a few months ago about things like
chemical anchors for patio covers and the like (a low load
application).  Turns out that "taint necessarily so".  The problem isn't so
much the strength of even crummy grades of steel, even aluminum rod would
be strong enough from a materials point of view. The problem but the
uncertain quality of manufacturing in the threaded rod or bolts.  Things
like voids, cracks, or inclusions can raise problems because they cause
stress concentrations.  When Home Depot goes to the "lowest backyard forge
bidder" in a third world country (or more properly, some consolidator who
contracts with dozens of these little manufacturing plants) you run the
risk that they just dump any old steel from the ship breaker in India into
the melt, then rolled out the rods, rolled the threads, dumped it into the
plating bath, and loaded it into the container.  Unless the rod actually
fell apart coming out of the machine, it's unlikely it was ever really
checked.  They literally cannot afford to do any process controls or
inspections.

You could either buy cheap stuff and inspect the heck out of it (something
most hams don't have the equipment or patience for) or spend twice as much
and get something that comes with the process controls and source
inspection. (not saying that there's not bogus junk out there, and outright
fraud, but it's less likely)