[TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Sep 17 08:00:44 EDT 2005

The latest QST includes a lead tech article on an automatic antenna switch controller that uses a PIC and a lot of other parts on an expensive PC board to switch 5 antennas either manually or in response to band data from various transceivers.  I must be missing something, because this seems like a LOT of trouble for less capability than could be gotten from a $20 W9XT band decoder card and a few added components.  I know that there are some radios that don't provide BCD band data, but that problem is usually dealt with by running a computer program that provides the band data on an LPT port.

For this they burn 8 pages?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on 18 August 2005