[TowerTalk] Shunt-feed caps

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Sun Sep 18 12:11:56 EDT 2005

I recently aquired a hipot tester and tested the vacuum-capacitors I had planned to use for matching my shunt-fed tower.

The high-voltage caps flunked.

I have two 5 KV caps of suitable capacitance that test well beyond their rated voltage.

The several plans I have are all over the map as to what the voltage rating of the matching caps should be.

My thought is that if I tune-up (the caps are to be motorized, and controlled from the shack), using low power, the 5 KV caps should then be sufficient at higher power.

Anyone have any practical knowledge on this subject?

73, Barrie, W7ALW