[TowerTalk] replacement guys (was ...and C31XR)

StellarCAT RXDesign at ssvecnet.com
Wed Sep 21 12:17:29 EDT 2005

I see phillystrand is still being hawked as the best overall solution for guying where antennas
will be along the length of the tower... but I still prefer good old fashioned steel.

The reasons - much less stretch (see K7NV's very nice analysis of same using both EHS and
philly - no comparison!), no UV concerns (long term philly use is still not available in great even
numbers), cost, and overall strength.

As for interaction - there is a treatise on the net by a gentlemen that I have forgotten his name -
very well done overall on tower installations... he said in essence: for a dipole to add gain one
has to CAREFULLY place another length of conducting material in the plane, at the right distance,
and have the right length to JUST have a little gain... the guy wires are not in the plane in most cases,
can be cut to be non-resonant,  and for the most part are a long distance away.

I will stick with steel!

g.