[TowerTalk] fiberglass guys...

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Thu Sep 22 17:25:55 EDT 2005

OK, my 02 cents worth.

>I knew someone would have to be offended.... my apologies as an offense was
>not intended. Funny that you felt "comfortable" with
> Bill's statement about "cheaping out" when it was directed at those
> installing EHS!

EHS is cheaper (less expensive) than Phillystran, but I don't think by much.

> My point - again - is that MECHANICALLY - steel is superior to Philly. I
> cannot and did not comment about poly as I do not know

In some aspects steel is superior and Philly in others.

> anything about its stretch. The FACT is that philly DOES stretch much more
> than steel. As simple as that. So I, emphasis on I, I

The stretch is considerably more than steeland it is still insignificant.
And extra 5% initial tension will relax to the recomended 10%, or you can
retension.  In aproximately 135 feet for the length of the top set of guys
on a 97' tower it is very small.  My tower is heavily loaded and following
the older directions I retensioned after about a week.  I haven't had to
redo them yet.

The catenary is virtually non existent where EHS will have a relatively deep
catenary.  The Kevlar will have a much higher natural frequency of
oscillation. I don't know if that is good, bad, or makes no difference.  The
Kevlar has almost no give from the catenary while EHS does.

Phyllistran has one characteristic I do not like. That is the Kevlar core is
very sensitive to moisture.
I sealed the end caps with Silastic RTV (TM), but I still check them
periodically and have a package of new ones just-in-case.  I've had concerns
about lightning, but so far they have proved unfounded.  The tower has been
struck at least 9 times now that I know of and probably more.

I'd disagree with the statement that it is easily cut.  I thought it would
be, but when I started working with the stuff, I gave up trying to use a
sharp knife and box cutter. I went back to my heavy duty cable cutters.
OTOH relatively speaking it is much easier to cut than EHS but it'll take
much more than a casual swipe with a box cutter to sever it.

I do agree that Phyllistran does not have the time in the field for extended
life testing but I believe it has been around about 30 years or so.

> decided to take this variable to the maximum safety factor and to
> compromise on the other factors. Obviously you and others
> compromised in a different manner and that is perfectly fine - your
> decision - only do not (as Bill did) lessen our decision if we
> decide to go with Steel with insulators. It is not simply $'s that this
> decision is made on.

My old 90' tower had EHS with insulators. I pitched the whole works to go
with the Kevlar (Phillystran) when I installed the new tower. Everything
below 10' AGL is steel.

I chose Phillystran for a number of reasons.  One was weight as I was doing
almost all the work myself/alone. Another was; I like the idea of no
noticeable catenary (any line with a horizontal component has a catenary)
which would remove the natural low frequency resonance, and more important
than any thing else, I would be hanging multiple HF (Half wave center fed
slopers)antennas off the tower

> Based on your description (but not knowing what poly does) I would have
> probably considered elsewise... but I am not going with
> verticals and the like.
>

> [PS: the guys/insulators are using preforms so no "maintenance" as you
> suggest is needed - at least not that I am aware of.]

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com