[TowerTalk] [BULK] - N-Connector & Belden 9913F7

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Fri Sep 23 14:21:57 EDT 2005

Hi George,

Funny you should say this.  I've tried it, myself, using a drill press, a
small metal bench vice and a 7/64" new drill bit, and failed miserably.
Despite the "pilot hole" that's there, the problems I found are:

-The tiniest wobble of the bit, and I mean tiny (not visible to the eye),
screws up the operation because you're drilling something that's only very
slightly larger in O.D. than the newly intended I.D.

-The vice, or pliers, or almost anything, holding the solid pin "tip"
doesn't have enough grasping tension to hold the pin steady.

-Obviously, gripping the hollow part of the pin won't work, it has no
strength and collapses.

What I did, to cure the problems, is make a holding tool that is machined to
exactly the exterior dimensions and form of the original pin, and exactly as
deep.  This tool has a split core so the pin can be inserted, then clamped
by the tool which completely surrounds the pin.  Then, I use a CNC vertical
machining center with a .109" milling bit and run one pass into and out of
the pin.  Perfect results every time.

Problem is, if you don't have toolmaking capability or a CNC...

I'd say if you can do this with a drill press and pliers you must be pretty
good.  I tried it and ruined many pins before I gave up.

Since I found that somebody else already does this in large quantities, I
just buy the stuff from him now.  Not worth typing up a CNC to run pins that
I can buy for $1.50 each.

WB2WIK/6