[TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK) richard at karlquist.com
Fri Sep 23 15:31:06 EDT 2005

> >>Have you contributed something better for them to publish?  I doubt they
> >>pushed aside a whole stack of much more interesting, well written and
> >>germane
> >>articles to print that one.
> >>However you value this antenna switch article, it would have to
> rank above
> >>8
> >>pages saying:

Well, I have contributed articles to the ARRL to publish and have no
plans to ever do that again.  When a magazine publishes weak articles
like this one, an author has to consider whether he wants to have
his article in the same magazine with lower grade material.  Publishing
weak articles drives the good ones away.  Many other potential authors
have privately agreed with me on this subject.  It seems every month
QTH has at least one weak article.  The weak article of the year has
to be the one about building your own speaker.  If I wanted to read
about that, I would subscribe to Speaker Builder magazine.

BTW, a better article IMHO would be a circuit that provides a hardware
band data output for Kenwood rigs.  I was looking at the manual
for my TS-570, and noticed that I could bring out the synthesizer
tuning voltage and digitize it with a PIC microprocessor which would
then issue band data.  Yes, you have to open the box and attach one
wire to a test point.  Oops, too advanced for QST.  The editor would
reject it.

Rick N6RK