[TowerTalk] silly guy preform dead end question...

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Sep 27 17:06:26 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/26/2005 5:28:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I have always used cable clamps ... but this time around the preforms were
about as cheap as
the cable clamps. I have researched here there and (most) everywhere but
cannot find clear
cut instructions on how to use these things. Is the guy simply cut and held
straight and the preform
simply wraps around it!?

    Yes. Use the crossover mark closest to the end loop to start wrapping
them.

    Finish the short leg first - it'll make wrapping the other leg easier.

    They are meant to be put on by hand but I use a medium blade screwdriver
to finish the second leg by putting it under the strands and working them in
the wrap direction.

>  The guy could theoretically  "pull" put with enough force - i.e. it is not
hooked/looped or anything else?
[I know, like a Chinese finger lock that the more you pull the more they
"grip"...BUT]

    But what? I've never heard of one pulling out, not even after a tree has
fallen on the guy. (The grip moved less than an inch in that case but didn't
pull out.)

>  Is there any "magic" to it or any caveats? Both with the guys using
thimbles (i have the right size
thimbles) as well as around insulators?

    Yes. Use the second crossover mark (farthest from the termination loop)
when you use insulators, otherwise the termination angle is too sharp.

    You're allowed to remove the grip twice during installation without
compromising the holding power. Any more than that and you start losing the grit
inside the grip which provides about 40% of the holding power.

Cheers & GL,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Cell: 206-890-4188