[TowerTalk] Low Bad DXing 40m beam

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 27 20:42:53 EDT 2005

I would say it depends on the tower, antenna and mast.  We used a 1/4 EHS
tram to take down an old C-4XL and replace with a new C-4XL at 152 feet.
The tram was attached to the mast about 4-5 feet above the thrust bearing.
The mast is 2 X .18 inch high carbon steel obtained from Texas Towers.  The
tower is American 18 inch face (Rohn 45G equivalent).  The link below has
photos of the tramming process in time sequence.  The last few shots shows a
C-3 being hoisted to a TIC Ringrotor 33 feet below the C-4XL.  The tram line
was tied to a pine tree approximately 200 feet from tower base and located
exactly opposite the guy line at the top of the tower (150 feet).

http://www.dutson.net/Ham/AntennaFarm/AntennaParty20050917.html

73, Keith NM5G