[TowerTalk] Tower base depth vs. hardpan

Randy randy at verizon.net
Tue Sep 27 23:34:52 EDT 2005

Hi all:
I'm pretty sure that I have a hardpan, most likely limestone, about 5 feet
down from the surface.
The problem is that the spec sheet calls for a 5X5X6 1/2' pour. This is for
a U.S. Towers TX-472
tilt/telescopic tower. The reason I suspect that the hardpan is there is
that I tried jetting a piece
of 1/2 hard copper in 3 spots in the area in question today, and hit
immovable things; a friend
of mine tried digging a pond on his property less than 3 miles from here
and hit limestone at
about 3 feet, although he did find either the end of that rock, or a
depression in it, although
I don't know how much deeper he attempted to go with it. On the brighter
side, I checked
where my US Tower TX 489 is going to go, and I think I can make the
required 8' depth for that
tower. Not sure if that's a variation in the subsurface strata, or fill
dirt added way back when.
I realize that I'm not going to know for-sure what the story is until I dig
down there, and I'm
going to probe some more before deciding on the exact location, but, my
question is:
Does anybody have any specific data for a suitable base for a depth limit
of 5'? I haven't
emailed US Tower as of yet, just figured out the bad news this evening.
I'll do that as soon as
I finish this email.

The spec sheet for the tower says:
Overturning Moment: 35.0 ft. kips
Base Shear:                1.22 kips
Structure Weight:        1.33 kips

I'm *really* hoping I don't have to hire a PE to tell me what I want to
know; there are NO requirements
for getting a permit in this county....as was verified in a 'test case' I
inadvertantly caused some years
ago....well, there was one other ham also, but his tower didn't show up in
the papers and Channel 40
News...

Thanks for any help y'all can offer...

73 de KZ4RV