[TowerTalk] Amateur Radio Antenna "CC&R Bill" Reintroduced in Congress

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Sep 28 12:49:57 EDT 2005

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    FYI. Here's a topic that's near and dear to most of our hearts.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC

   From: "Dr. Howard S. White" <drpaper at msn.com>
Subject: ARRLWeb: Amateur Radio Antenna "CC&R Bill" Reintroduced in Congress

CC&R's and HOA have done a lot to kill Ham Radio

This bill would have the PRB-1 Antenna Exemption to apply to CC&R's & HOA

This is a very important Bill... Write your Congressman to solicit his
support.....

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/09/23/7/?nc=1

NEWINGTON, CT, Sep 23, 2005--New York Congressman Steve Israel has
reintroduced legislation that could make it easier for radio amateurs living in
communities with deed covenants, conditions and restrictions (CC&Rs) to erect suitable
antennas. Arkansas Congressman Mike Ross, WD5DVR, signed aboard as an
original cosponsor of the "Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act"
(HR 3876). ARRL Hudson Division Director Frank Fallon, N2FF, who attended
Israel's public announcement of the bill September 19 on Long Island, pointed out
the Amateur Radio volunteers always fill the gap after other communication
systems fail in an emergency or disaster. He notes the bill's introduction comes in
the immediate aftermath of positive media coverage of Amateur Radio's
response to the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

"Unfortunately if all new housing developments contain deed restrictions
forbidding outside antennas there will probably come a time when there will not be
enough ham radio operators to help their neighbors and countrymen," said
Fallon. He believes Israel's bill will help to ensure that Amateur Radio will
continue to be able to provide emergency communication should a disaster occur.

Fallon, who head up the League's grassroots lobbying initiative, was on hand
for Israel's announcement, which took place at the home of ARRL New York
City-Long Island Emergency Coordinator Tom Carrubba, KA2D.

The one-sentence measure is identical to the text of the CC&R bill that has
been introduced in the last two sessions of Congress: "For purposes of the
Federal Communications Commission's regulation relating to station antenna
structures in the Amateur Radio Service (47 CFR 97.15), any private land use rules
applicable to such structures shall be treated as a state or local regulation
and shall be subject to the same requirements and limitations as a state or
local regulation."

The measure would put private land-use regulations, such as homeowners'
association rules, on the same legal plane as state or local zoning regulations
under the FCC's PRB-1 limited federal preemption regarding antenna
structures--§97.15 of the Amateur Service rules. PRB-1 now applies only to states and
municipalities.

ARRL President Jim Haynie, W5JBP, is encouraging League members to write
their elected representative and ask that they cosponsor and support the bill,
especially given two hurricane emergencies in short order.

"I think it's time now that we, as amateurs, really band together and see
what we can do about writing our congressional representatives and explaining to
them that Amateur Radio is certainly a part of this nation's communications
infrastructure," Haynie said. "What we're asking for is just a fair shake so we
can put up antennas and help our fellow citizens."

While the League has ramped up its efforts to educate members of Congress
about Amateur Radio, Haynie said lawmakers respond best to individual members.

HR 3876 has been assigned to the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
Information about the bill and a sample letter to use when contacting your
representative are available on the ARRL Web site.

In his formal announcement this week, Israel said that "often unsung" Amateur
Radio volunteers were instrumental in helping residents in the hardest hit
areas in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, including saving stranded flood victims
in Louisiana and Mississippi.

"State and local governments, as well as disaster relief agencies, could not
possibly afford to replace the services that radio amateurs dependably provide
for free," said a statement from Israel's office. "However, the hundreds of
thousands of Amateur Radio licensees face burdensome regulations that make it
extremely difficult to provide their public services."

In past statements, Israel has said that the growth of developed communities
has put a growing number of hams under an "array of inconsistent regulations"
that make it harder and harder--or altogether impossible--to erect the
necessary antennas.