[TowerTalk] Centre Insulator - fiberglass or Garolite rod

Mark . n1lo at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 28 18:32:55 EDT 2005

<< G'day,  I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a supplier
for fibre glass rod suitable for bridging the centre of a split driven
element.  The element I am assembling is the heavy duty 20m unit from the
ARRL antenna Handbook and it will need to be 7/8 inch diameter to fit within
the 1 inch O.D. tube tripler.  I'm only looking for approximately 12 inches.
  DX Engineering only list a component for 3/4 inch O.D. tube. Regards, Mike
VP8NO >>

Mike,

My favorite one-stop shop, McMaster Carr, only lists 0.75 and 1" dia.
fiberglass rod. You can buy 1" and have it machined for exact slip fit, or:

Look at G-10 Garolite rod, available in 7/8" OD and sold by the foot. I've
never used it, but the specs seem well suited for the job. According to
McMaster's info page, it's a glass cloth laminate, impregnated, epoxy filled
composite commonly used for electrical applications (good insulator), and
the tensile strength is an impressive 38,000 psi. Low water absorption and
flame resistant.

Looks like it's difficult to machine (requires diamond or carbide tools).

Good luck.

--...MARK_N1LO...--