[TowerTalk] Whole house surge protectors

Floyd Sense fsense at charter.net
Thu Sep 29 10:42:21 EDT 2005

I recently installed a whole-house surge protector (Surgebreaker by Square
D) in my Square D panel.  I've detected no noise from the unit and it has
not shown any ill effects from running the legal limit to nearby antennas.
This particular unit has an LED that glows all the time, unless the unit has
clamped a surge, and in that case the LED no longer glows, indicating it's
time to replace it.  Cost was something less than $50 and was in stock at
the local small-town electrical supply store.  In our area (central NC), the
power company will only lease their protectors and the cost is around
$6-7/month for eternity.  Perhaps they're more effective, but I really don't
know.

K8AC