[TowerTalk] 4-sqr & terrain

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 20:27:10 EDT 2005

At 04:48 PM 9/29/2005, Brian Smithson wrote:
>Hello Group!
>
>I'm trying to pick the best spot to site a 4-square on my property. I've
>got about 12 acres to play with but there are various
>obsticles - two towers, a barn, pond, steep hills, etc. It slopes in
>various places but the most-level spot may become an arena for
>horses. My question is, how sensitive is the pattern to differences in
>height of the verticals? That is, can the bases be ~3 feet
>difference in level from each other?

first question.. is the 4 square for 80m (in which case 3 feet is in the
noise) or for 2m, (in which case it's not...

if you're on 40m, a quarter wavelength is, what, about 33 ft, so you're
talking 1/40th of a wavelength with 3 ft.. probably not an issue. Probably
not even an issue with 20m (unless you have some sort of exotic phasing
system that will be picky about tiny changes in mutual Z, and then, you
have much bigger problems to worry about)

I'd guess that the small scale slopes will have less effect than other
things around (horses, towers, etc.).

It's actually,