[TowerTalk] antenna switch control box?

Paul Young youngp at hp.com
Sun Apr 2 11:26:44 EDT 2006

Dave,

Is there a reason you are looking at individual boxes?

My home station is built around a homebrew box which controls 64 relays
from an RS-232 connection.  It has basic hot-switch protection in that
it is connected to the amp keying lines and won't switch when the radio
is transmitting.

As designed it can handle 63 antennas but it could handle more if you
don't need to have it resolve SO2R conflicts.  It also has some other
nice capabilities, like the ability to automatically switch to different
antennas for transmit and receive.  This is useful if the top antenna
can't hear because of rain static.

I'm running mine from a stand-alone controller but it can be connected
to a PC, which is how I debugged it.

We're planning to do something similar at W1KM.  My home unit can be
thought of as "proof of concept" but it can has six key line inputs
and with a few level inverters could probably drive the whole station.

As far as construction, the box is pretty small.  The only difficult
part was making holes for the DB-25 connectors I used for the relay
outputs.

                            Paul, K1XM