[TowerTalk] insulating oil (also PCB issues) was Re: HN-31 Heathkit Dummy Load

kb0fhp at comcast.net kb0fhp at comcast.net
Tue Apr 4 17:34:18 EDT 2006

Personally, the use of quench oils used in heat treating also works well.  It is typically a high grade paraffinic mineral oil, with oxidation additives added for this severe duty.  These can be obtained from either supply houses like Brownells (a gunsmithing supply company), Quench oil manufacturers (like Houghton International - my employer), or small oil supply distributers (usually found locally).  The oils can also be obtained either new or used (which would work fine) from a local commercial heat treater.

Does any one have the viscosity specifications of the transformer oil used (cSt or SUS)?

Thanks

Scott

From: Jack - K4WSB <K4WSB at arrl.net>