[TowerTalk] KT34A STACKED WITH KT34XA???

David Hachadorian k6ll at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 14 14:12:23 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Jansen" <PJansen at cctent.com>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 4:28 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT34A STACKED WITH KT34XA???

>I currently have a KT34A at the top of my 70 foot tower - I
>was planning on
> stacking another at about 45 feet.
>

> However, in searching for another one I ended up with the
> XA version - which
> I was planning on converting back to the shorter "A"
> version.  But before I
> do that - I thought it wouldn't hurt to check with the
> group to see if there
> might be some thoughts on the mixing them in a stacked
> arrangement.
--------------------------------
The DE's of the smaller antenna are about 7' forward of
those in the XA. You can get the two antennas into phase by
adding a delay line to the smaller antenna. Just make the
coax to the smaller one 7' longer, considering the velocity
factor. So, for RG-213 it would be 7' x .66 = 4.6 feet
longer. There are more complicated and precise ways to phase
two dissimilar antennas, but this should be good enough,
since the phasing is not critical, as long as you get within
20 degrees or so.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.