[TowerTalk] I think I now know what's wrong with my T2X

FireBrick w9ol at billnjudy.com
Thu Apr 20 10:37:16 EDT 2006

I has asked for suggestions as why my Ham IV would turn my old Wilson rotatable tower
smoothly with no problems but my T2X sometimes wouldn't start, sometimes get so far and
stop.
Even with the same control box.
I had it centered properly
I could turn the Wilson easily by hand.

Lot's of suggestions and help.

I finally got a chance to open it up this morning while waiting and praying that the VU4
would be hearable.
Opened over xyl's old roasting pan in case of parts falling out.
'there were none'
(I always leave a rotor to north with the edges of the cases scored to ease in proper
alignment when reassembling.

I found that all parts looked good,
EXCEPT!

The bottom race and bearings were/are all black and very rusty looking.
The two upper bearings/races were fine, light coating of grease, shiny bearing.

But that bottom race/bearings were gritty feeling and the rotor portions that sits on
those bottom bearings were also gummy and took a lot of cleaning to get back to smooth
shiny metal.

So I'm convinced that those bearing were offering a severe restriction.

I will be ordering new bearings & holder for the bottom raceway.

The only thing I can imagine that caused this....The base of the T2x sits just inches
above the patio concrete. While I always cleared snow from the base, maybe one of our
famous Chicago wet snow falls allowed enough moisture to rust those bearings.

Again thanks for all help and suggestions.
After I get it back together again, I'll let you know how it works.

96.7% of all statistics are made up.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080
weather at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/WX/HH.htm