[TowerTalk] Ground rod connection: Cadweld or ????

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Mon Apr 24 15:28:35 EDT 2006

> When I talked to Joel at The RF Connection about Cadweld one shots
> about 2 months ago he told me that the "old style" one shots has been
> discontinued and replaced with a "new style" which needs to be ignited

The old ones had two powder mixes. The main charge was loose and just poured
in.  The igniter was a fine powder that would stay in the bottom of the vial
until you tapped it out.  That stuff you could light with a kitchen match
(not a good idea).  I don't know if they did away with that or not.  I had
the igniter powder fall out with the charge on a couple that had been
dropped and those cases just used a small torch to ignite the main charge.

> with a very expensive igniter from Cadweld (like $150 or $250 or
> something like that).  I don't know if this has changed, but ...
> that's going to stop a lot of hams from going the Cadweld route if
> something isn't done about it.

Where there's a will there's a way. <:-))

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com