[TowerTalk] Ham Radio Tower & Lightening

kd4e kd4e at verizon.net
Tue Aug 1 09:57:48 EDT 2006

There are vastly more qualified engineers on this
list but please permit me to share what I have been
taught over the years ... I will be corrected where
I have misunderstood!

> My question is:  Is there such a 'thing' as umbrella
> protection from his tower,

Yes, but the area of "coverage" is limited and not
by any means absolute.

> or is the tower attracting the lightening?

Actually, your decks and boats on the water are at
least equally attractive points of discharge as is
his tower.

Consider that they sit in the water and provide
somewhat tall and often slightly moving points where
lightning may find their discharge potential.

The various pollutants from the vessels and decks
also make the water below more conductive, also
increasing the attractiveness to lightning discharge.

> I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Visit this site:
http://www.lightning.org/?page=home
<http://www.lightning.org/?page=home>

Also, have a look at the density of lightning in your
area during this season -- you may be experiencing
dozens of strikes within a single square mile area.

https://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/
<https://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/>

Hope that helps!

--