[TowerTalk] Topband: Grounded Tower

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at verizon.net
Fri Aug 4 16:22:24 EDT 2006

Jim, you've opened a real can of worms.

You can't say there is "data" to the contrary ... there may be
legend, anecdote or even model studies but there are no validly
conducted field strength studies that show elevated radials to
outperform a reasonable (16 - 32 radials) in ground system when
the length of the in ground radials are "sufficient" <snip>
-0-

Joe,

You're right.  IF you have a reasonable, 16-32 radial system
to work with.  I believe there was a stipulation that that wouldn't be
possible.  I DID say better than an 'insufficient' system.

Of greater importance...and it supports your argument, actually...
is that the field strength data, was taken with 4 elevated radials...
over the remains of a previous 120 radial system.... NOT really
relevant to the amateur case. I was reminded of this off-reflector by
a chap from EU.

It IS true that a larger ground system would be more stable...and
probably that an in-ground one is even more so, as shifts are swamped by
the earth losses.

However, in the initial broadcast submission, they were still able to
attain 190mV at a mile...which was the same field they had with
the buried system.  (and I'm sure there were 'holes' in between the
radials where they didn't achieve that, but didn't report it!)

Here in suburbia, I'm constrained to use onground radials, stapled down,
for aesthetic reasons.  Up in VT, I was free to fly radials, which worked
reasonably well.  Hardly quantified, admittedly, but good enough to work
Campbell Island on top band in 99.

Jim