[TowerTalk] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Aug 14 22:03:03 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff" <w7jw at arrl.net>
To: <TowerTalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

>I think it was Wayne Overbeck, N6NB.
>

> http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/rfsafety.htm
>
> Jeff, W7JW

Wayne is an attorney/law professor. I think the guy you may be
thinking of is Greg Lapin N9GL:

http://www.arrl.org/rfsafety/lapin/index.html

http://home.comcast.net/~glapin1/

Although it appears that he is not a M.D. either, but rather a
biomedical engineer.

FWIW, I don't think that there have been any studies that show
conclusively that there is a correlation between adverse health
effects and living close to power lines. Questions may remain
since it's much harder to prove a negative (e.g. prove exposure
to powerline fields does not cause any health problems). Same
with RF exposure - questions remain, but AFAIK the smoking
gun has yet to be demonstrated. At a minimum these things have
to be way down the ladder from diet and exercise habits (e.g. if
you show up at the public hearing for a tower permit worried
about RF exposure and you have a cigarette dangling out of
your mouth, then you probably need to re-evaluate your health
risk priorities).