[TowerTalk] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 08:19:47 EDT 2006

One QTH I had in England was about a mile from some
400kV lines. During damp or misty weather (ie nearly
all the time in England!), the noise from the lines
made operation on 160m or 80m almost impossible -
S9+++ on the transmit antenna. There was no actual
fault on the line - the noise came from all along it -
and I presume the problem was caused by corona. I
would take a lot of persuading to get a house that
close to any EHV line again.

I find it whimsical that over here line noise seems to
be mostly caused by loose hardware on distribution
lines and is generally worse in dry weather!

73 Roger
VE3ZI/G3RBP