[TowerTalk] Burying the bases of towers...DANGER, DANGER!

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Aug 19 15:34:21 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <Cqtestk4xs at aol.com>
To: <TOWERTALK at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2006 7:48 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Burying the bases of towers...DANGER, DANGER!

> In a message dated 8/19/2006 2:32:18 A.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
> K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net writes:
>
> That's  why we put the tops a foot below the surface. Saw everything off
> and
> cover  it up. It'll be great until some one want's to dig a hole there.
> <:-))

> .a good idea that is not a good idea.  Here in Florida I have seen the
> results of doing just that.  The tower begins to rust and rot and after
> some

Ahhhh... We were discussing the guy anchors not the tower base.
Tower base, I agree, Mine is about 6" above grade and crowned to keep water
from collecting.  Up here a tower base would fail long before you had to
worry about rust.  We have something called Ice and sub zero temperatures.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com