[TowerTalk] 2006 Top Ten Chutzpah Awards - the top two

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Tue Aug 22 15:59:54 EDT 2006

Pete,

Nobody at ARRL looks at these before publication.  The "New
Product" announcements are manufacturer's press releases.  The
press releases go in an "inbox" and the layout staff grabs
whatever they need to fill "holes" in the magazine.

I raised the issue privately with key members of the editorial
staff a few months ago when one manufacturer had "New Product"
announcements in three different places in the same issue.  In
one case the product was so new that it was not even available
for purchase on the manufacturer's own web site!  This, in spite
of a two month lead time for QST advertising <G>.

Bottom line, "New Product Announcements" are not subject to any
of the normal QST editorial standards.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV