[TowerTalk] B & W Antenna( was 2006 top ten)

James P. Cassidy 107770.3462 at compuserve.com
Wed Aug 23 23:15:50 EDT 2006

At the risk of being fatally flamed I want to add a couple cents worth to
the B & W Antenna issue.

I had read the same info for many years about the ineffectiveness of the B
& W antenna.  This past spring I operated at a station that uses one and
was slightly amazed at the performance.  No, its not a world beater contest
antenna but did work well enough in the CQ WPX SSB contest to work quite a
few stations on 160,80 and 40m.  There was no other antennas for those
bands to compare with but the main point is that it did radiate well enough
for some QSOs. Of course in the contest situation there was no accurate
signal reports and its very likely that the signal was below that of a
conventional dipole.

The bottom line was that the station was capable of making contacts.

And before I catch too much flaming, the antenna is not at my station.
Only at a friends with somewhat limited space for wire antennas.

73 Jim KI7Y