[TowerTalk] . Re: 2006 Top Ten Chutzpah Awards

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Thu Aug 24 13:20:07 EDT 2006

I think most have missed the point of the original poster on "antenna size".
I believe what he was referring to when he said "a small antenna radiates
just as well as a large antenna" was in reference to a dipole full length
verses a very short dipole. He said that as long as you can get power to it
the short antenna will radiate just about as well as the long antenna.

I concur with that also. The problem with a short antenna is getting power
to it as its impedance is very low and matching network losses run high. But
the bottom line is that if you have a 10 foot long antenna and a 120 foot
long antenna, both on 80 meters, if you can get 100 watts into each there
will be very little difference in radiation from either. Unfortunately this
is very difficult to accomplish.

73
Gary  K4FMX