[TowerTalk] Mast -- Drill or not?

wa3afs at inav.net wa3afs at inav.net
Fri Aug 25 12:21:57 EDT 2006

I am just about to start installing my 9 foot roof tower with an 1/4 inch wall alumunin mast (9 foot) with a 3 element
SteppIR mounted about 4 1/2 to 5 feet above the tower.

Is the center bolt on the Ham-IV rotator sufficient to keep the mast from turning or should the mast be drilled so that
the bolt (or an pointy end bolt) has a more positive hold on the mast?  Winds of 50-60 mph are occassional in the
area.

Thanks to this reflector for pointing me to the Penninger website for the mast.  I had the mast in less than a week.

My only remaining problem is finding true north...My house is approximately 30 degrees off of magnetic north.

73
    -- Bruce