[TowerTalk] How I set 20 Ground Rods in HARD CLAY SOIL

Dr M J DiGirolamo DrD at 2020.com
Wed Aug 30 21:12:54 EDT 2006

Hi Jack, et all,

  After reading your story I thought sharing my experience could be of value to
both you and others.

  Two or 3 weeks ago I set, 20 ea, 5/8"x8' ground rods in hard clay Virginia
soil.  This was soil that had received no rain in a LONG time -
'twas approaching drought conditions here.  The soil was very HARD and TOUGH and
the task of sinking that many long ground rods was daunting.

   I believe the success of this story comes from the use of a HEAVY DUTY,
Milwaukee Demolition Hammer.  Here is a unit like I used.  I had a slightly
older model but this was the one that did the work. I would think you could rent
them somewhere:

<http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=68168&cm_ven=Shopp
ing.com&cm_cat=Power%20Tools&cm_pla=Milwaukee&cm_ite=Milwaukee-Demolition%20Hamm
ers-68168&cid=463695E60A25F7CEE3A933029E33B082>

   I also had on hand a lighter duty HILTI Model TE 72 which I used as follows.
With the help of 2 other folks, we commenced operations.  Having marked the rod
positions we first dug out approx 12" x 12" x 8-10" squares of soil, centered
over the rod locations using the demolition hammer with the spade accessory.
Then, with one of us on the step ladder, the other one holding the ground rod
vertical, the 3rd person started the vertical hammering using the lighter HILTI
unit.  It would often sink a rod 2 to 3 feet into the ground before it began to
slow down.  We then shifted to the big Milwaukee.  I'm guessing some of those
rods took 5-10 minutes to sink.  Some went all the way down, some had 18-24"
sticking up as they just wouldn't go any further.  The heads of the rods were
all mushroomed.  I used a "Hitachi G12SE2 4 1/2" Disc Grinder" with "Dewalt
DW8424 Metal Oxide Cutting Disks," (both purchased at Lowes a couple of weeks
ago) to cut off the remaining mushroomed rods in preparation for the Cadweld
molds.

   Another suggestion, do your trench work BEFORE setting the rods if you're
planning to use something like a Ditch-Witch.  You can read my post from about a
week ago on how badly that sucker beat me up :)  Truly, I still have bruises on
my body from its use.

   I'm currently in the process of doing the Cadweld joints -- I'll soon be
writing in this TT newsgroup about my experience with the One-Shots.  There have
been a fair amount of problems due to bad powder charges (QC probs) and the new
"fibrous material" vs the older "ceramic material" used in the One-Shot molds.
Erico has been EXCELLENT and gone far out of their way to help me out, but the
project has been an uphill battle thus far.  Today I got a couple of more welds
done before the MUCH NEEDED RAINS came.  After the rains, I took advantage of
the softened soil and cleaned up a lot of the trenching.  More later.

   Hope this is of some help es,

73,

Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN
Charlottesville, VA