[TowerTalk] climbing belt

Jason Creager jason at creager.com
Wed Aug 30 22:08:44 EDT 2006

>   Where is the best place to buy a tower safety climbing belt.?

"Tower safety climbing belt" is an oxymoron. It doesn't exist. Using a waist belt for fall protection results in broken pelvises and other injuries up to, and including, death.

AES sells Glen Martin Full Body Harnesses for $90, $107, or  $237 depending on how many options you want. The $107 model has four D-Rings, so get that one at the very least because I *think* you can use the other two for positioning. The $237 model has padded waist and leg straps. You will also need a shock absorbing lanyard and various positioning lanyards or rope.

>   I have been using a homemade one that has been fine for a 40' tower but a
> bit cumbersome.

It's only been "fine" because it's never endured a real fall (thankfully).  You probably will not be able to find a "safety belt" being manufactured today; they'll likely be called "positioning belts" because that's their purpose in life. You'll still need fall protection, so look for a harness with integrated positioning points to save yourself some money and hassle.

Using a belt for fall protection on a tower is literally gambling with your life.

Jason
KC0ERG