[TowerTalk] Dismal Ground Rod / Hammer Drill Results Today

Doug Rehman rehman at surveil.com
Wed Aug 30 22:55:57 EDT 2006

I bought the Harbor Freight demolition hammer
(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93853) for
$150 and a ground rod bit off eBay for $50. Put it on top of a ground rod
and it slides right in the ground here (Central Florida).

I actually had another purpose for buying the demo hammer- breaking up the
giant mound of concrete the driver left behind after cleaning out the
chute...

Before the demo hammer, I modified a cheap ($10) air hammer to drive ground
rods. I welded a socket onto the air hammer chisel (pointed end slipped into
the drive hole of the socket). It works, but you better have a decent
compressor to keep up the air flow. The weld usually broke after a ground
rod or two, but quick and easy to re-weld. The air hammer is MUCH slower
than the demo hammer.

Doug
K4DDR